Meal kits are a fun way to eat healthy, tasty meals without all the hassle of going to the grocery store. They also make great gifts for friends and family.
The meal kit industry has grown into a multi-billion dollar business over the past few years. With a wide variety of services and price points, there is something for everyone.
Know Your Wine
Wines can be broken down into five main categories: White, Red, Rosé, Sparkling and Dessert.
White wines are usually light-bodied and refreshing. The most popular types of white wine include Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio/Gris and Riesling. These wines tend to have flavors such as tropical fruit, citrus, honeysuckle and apple.
Red wines are fuller-bodied than white wines and range from light to very full-bodied. The most popular types of red wine include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Zinfandel. These wines tend to have flavors such as blackberry, cherry, plum and chocolate.
Rosé wines are light-bodied and dry. The most popular types of rosé wine include Provence Rosé, Zinfandel Rosé and White Zinfandel. These wines tend to have flavors such as strawberry, peach and watermelon.
Sparkling wines are bubbly, light-bodied and dry. The most popular types of sparkling wine include Champagne, Prosecco and Cava. These wines tend to have flavors such as apple, pear and citrus.
Dessert wines are sweet and often fortified with brandy or other spirits. The most popular types of dessert wine include Late Harvest, Ice Wine and Sherry. These wines tend to have flavors such as honey, apricot and almond.
Choosing the Right Wine for Your Meal
When it comes to pairing wine and food, you have to be sure that you’re selecting a wine that will compliment the flavors of your meal. If you’re unsure, the sommelier or wine specialist in the restaurant can help you select the perfect bottle. You can also check the Food and Wine Pairing Chart on the Wine Cellar HQ website.
While choosing wine for your meal, make sure that it has the right balance of acidity, body, and aromas. This will ensure that your wine will complement the flavors of your food and make a delicious pairing.
You should also remember that a light wine is ideal for food with low fat content, while a heavier wine is better suited to foods that have high fat contents. For example, white wine pairs well with lighter dishes, like chicken and fish.
A red wine is a good choice for foods with high acidity, such as citrus and seafood. However, if you’re eating something with a higher acidity level, such as a tomato sauce or stew, a red wine isn’t the best match.
Creating a Gourmet Experience at Home with Wine and Food
Several major companies are offering wine to accompany their meals, including Blue Apron and Hello Fresh, which have monthly subscription services. The addition of a wine option can save you time and energy while helping you find the perfect pairing for your dish. You can also elevate the experience:
- Take a cooking class. This will give you the chance to try out a number of unique food and wine pairings while learning from an expert chef and wine educator.
- Purchase a specialty drink glass or a special wine-related dinner plate. These are available at most high-end wine stores and restaurants.
The big thing about this is that you won’t have to worry about spilling your drink! In fact, these glasses are designed to be easily cleaned, and can hold up to three ounces of wine.
Tips for Hosting an At-Home Meal Kit Dinner Party
A dinner party is a great way to get to know new people and enjoy delicious food. But it can be a challenge to put on a memorable event that doesn’t leave you exhausted. To avoid stressing out, here are a few tips to keep in mind when planning your next at-home meal kit dinner party.
- Choose a date that works for everyone in the group. It’s important to invite guests well in advance so that they can clear their schedules and don’t forget about the event. Ideally, you should give people about three weeks to make their plans.
- Plan to have a buffet-style dinner, serving small bites and drinks at different tables. This will let your guests eat when they’re hungry and drink when they want to, giving you more time to spend with the ones you love.
- Serve light, refreshing wines as appetizers and hors d’oeuvres. As the dinner progresses, choose richer white and red wines for heartier dishes.
- Have a few dessert options on hand, too. A dark chocolate bar broken into pieces is always welcome, but you might also want to serve a bowl of fruit as an easy alternative.
- Don’t forget to check if any of your guests have allergies or other dietary restrictions. This will prevent you from making a dish that is unsuitable for them, which can be a real turnoff.
Tips to Enjoy Wine with Meal Kits
Purchase a curated tasting box. These wines are selected by sommeliers to make the experience easier for people who are new to wine. Some of these kits even come with educational tools to help you understand aromas and textures.
Winc aims to put customers at the forefront of their experience by using their answers to questions about flavors and foods they prefer to create a personalized box of wine. Each monthly box includes four new wines for you to try, and you can adjust your cart by adding or subtracting bottles as needed.
Firstleaf is another reputable wine delivery service that uses your taste preferences to select bottles you will enjoy. The company offers a guarantee that they’ll send you wines you’ll love, and they’re available for both domestic and international shipping. During signup, you’ll answer a few questions and provide a list of your preferred reds and whites. You can then vote yay or nay on the wines you receive, which will be used to tailor your next shipments.
Pairing the right wine with a meal kit can take your home dining experience to the next level. With just a few simple steps, you can elevate your at-home meals and make them feel special.
To find the perfect match for your meal kits, explore different wines that complement their flavors and ingredients, as well as taking into account your own personal preferences.
By taking some time to carefully choose the perfect wine for each meal kit, you can make every night feel like a special occasion.